- The key points
- Baby clothes can be worn out quickly, so make sure you only buy what you need.
- You want newborn clothes that are easy for the baby to put on and take off, easy to clean, and comfortable.
- Layering is a great idea.
Sizes for newborn clothes
- Size 000 is designed for babies aged 0-3 months. Size 00 is suitable for babies aged 3-6 months. A size 00 might be appropriate for larger newborns. It might be necessary to roll your sleeves up for a while, but it will not last.
- Many sizes can be found in different types of clothing and manufacturers. It’s important to compare clothes with other garments instead of relying on the size printed on labels.
- You might consider buying fewer clothes for your baby, as they grow so fast.
How many clothes do newborns need?
You will need many changes of clothing. Here are some guidelines to help you get through a newborn baby.
- Six singlets
- Six jumpsuits
- Two nightwear jumpsuits
- Three tops
- If it is winter, two jackets or cardigans
- Three cotton bunny rugs, three muslin wraps (gauze), and three cotton bunny rugs
- As an alternative to wraps, an infant sleeping bag
- A few cotton hats
- A few socks.
What kind of clothes are needed for newborns?
- You should wear clothing that is soft, comfortable and easy to care for.
- The best jumpsuits are those that fasten at their front. Tops with envelope necks are also a good choice. Zipper jumpsuits make dressing your baby easy and quick.
- A good choice is cotton clothes. Cotton clothes are more comfortable for your baby in hot weather than clothes made of synthetic fibres. Cotton is also gentle on a baby’s delicate skin and washes well.
- Also, it is important to be aware of clothes that have a low fire hazard label. This label should be on jumpsuits and rompers for newborns.
How can you dress a newborn so that they stay warm?
- Baby’s newborns need to be kept warm. In cold weather, it is best to cover your baby with layers. You can then take the layers off while you are at the shops or other warm places.
- Dress your baby in the same amount of layers as you are, plus one more layer to keep warm.
- While it is important to keep newborns warm, they don’t get too hot, especially in sleep.
How to dress a newborn
- Many newborns find dressing up and undressing stressful. You and your baby will be happier if you’re calmer and quicker.
- These are some suggestions that may help you:
- Place your baby on a soft surface and make sure that the room is comfortable.
- In case your baby has a wee, put a nappy on.
- Place the singlet from the back of your baby’s neck. As you pull the front up over your baby’s head, be careful not to touch their face. Babies can become very upset if clothes are scraping their faces.
- When undressing, do the opposite. Once again, try not to touch your baby’s eyes.
- Place your baby’s arms gently through the armholes.
- Dress your baby in a jumpsuit and unbutton it. Lay baby on the top. Put baby’s legs and arms in to the holes, and close the zip or snap fasteners.
- Forgoing outside in the sun, make sure that your baby is covered. If possible, keep your baby away from direct sunlight.
How to wash baby clothes
Baby clothes can be washed with other laundry items, but avoid strong detergents and fabric softeners. Laundry detergents that are labeled sensitive and ‘gentle” are less likely to cause irritation for your baby’s skin.
Clothes that have poo on them should be soaked in nappies sanitiser prior to washing. A handy pre-soak for baby who is starting solids is Nappy Sanitizer – even with a cloth bib, baby’s clothes can get soiled from food and drink.